Friday, November 16, 2012

My father.


Yesterday I was enjoying a peaceful, sunny day with friends. Poking around a little Amish town in Indiana.


Laughter was in the air and friendships were re-visited.

As we were enjoying our familiar dinner, I was enamoured by an adorable young waiter.
Charming and funny were his first selling qualities. We chatted, laughed and merged out of small talk.

My friends laughed as this stranger melted into my friend.

I would like to think that I have learned this skill through Natie. Although I believe it has become my eternal make-up since birth.

They were amazed at how quickly this young man became enthralled in our stories.  I gave them the glimpse of my dad. A man who never met a stranger a man I have become so much like.


I remember being shy in grade school.  Allowing a bully to haunt me for years.

Later in my school years I still had no real voice.
 It was in there. Just peeking out through poetry or a painting. Self expression was my tool. As I took on purple hair before that was ever cool.

I ran from myself. Not a clue who I was or who I would become.
I just ran.
I held onto groups or at least hugged onto their perimeter.
But I managed.

One solid part of my being was my father.
A man that still is such a mystery to me. He worked hard. We wanted for nothing.
We had the nicest of vacations and the best of clothing.
No memories of playing ball in the backyard, but memories of a strong foundation.
I was a typical little girl.

I would worry.
I would cry.
I was scared.


I was just a girl.

Behind every smile, is a story.

He sat nightly infront the radiant television screen.
Inviting me in to watch a bit of the old westerns.
I buried my woes into his amazing blue eyes.
His eyes were as clear as the ocean.
He always said "it will be OK"

And I believed him.
And it always was.

He was a mans man.
Three piece suits, alligator shoes and adorned with gold jewelry.
No matter where we were,
there was my father.
Standing tall, silver haired and confident.
Singing silly tunes in restaurants without a care in the world.

Never missing the chance to make a new friend.

He was as gregarious as they come.
I have yet to meet his equal.
No fear,
No limits.
Raw.
Genuine.
Kindness.

That's what I took.

The love to love.
The desire to give and get back.
New faces.


New stories.
I need them to survive.

It took me many years to see it clear.

(Hi I am Nate.....LOVE when he does this!)

You are who you are.

I don't worry about what you think about me any longer.
I cannot control that.

(Natie decided to do exactly what this woman in the pool was doing. Hilarious!)

But if you take my hello and crazy babbling I will become your friend.
For as long as you stay.
(Irving Zelig Herman on the left. )
So that's it.
I am my father.
A man of much mystery.
A man I idolized.
Who wiped my tears with his words.
Sharing with me the strength of his being.

I cannot see myself like you can.
I can only see the shadow through a new friends face.
A waiter at a lovely Amish restaurant.
Yes, I am who I am.


Just like Natie.
No blinders on.
Nothing wanted or expected.
Just real.

Be honest.
Be kind,
Be loud
Be genuine.
Be strong,
Be amazing,
Bold,
Trustworthy,
Funny,
Unique,
and full of the glitter you choose.

Just try and say hello to a stranger.
That stranger just might be me.

I lost my father too young.
I can only imagine what he would think of me today.

I believe he brings me to these faces. Reminding me of the power of kindness.
To ask of others and to talk little of ones self.

(another magical "HI Mickey, I'm Nate!")

I miss that man more than I ever share.
Every new friend is a reminder.

I know he is proud.
I just wish I could see it in his eyes.

Dad on right. He prayed that I would NOT get his nose:)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment