Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Be yourself.

There are days when the words spew out of my mouth and my fingers type so furiously that I am actually afraid I will forget my point even before I'm done.

I think about this a lot.
Why?
Because.


Be yourself.
Be unique.
Be who you decide you are set out to be.

 If I had a nickel for every time someone tells me that they wanna be like me....

Huh- are you serious?

A (young) middle aged,
tell it like it is,
learned the hard way,
bold,
exhausted little girl from Philly?
Hah, no idea where Philly came from, but it sounded good to me.
But seriously folks.

Why would YOU ever want to be like someone else?

If its a quality you admire, work on making it your own.

If its a talent, work hard to achieve it.

If its a style, mold yourself into what fits right.

If its the positive mental attitude, well then my dear, asking to have it just will not work.

Hol is an absolutely huge piece of fruitcake.

A master of her own mess and the fortune teller of her own mysterious mini series.



This reminds me of a friend that I used to have.
 Funny thing, I don't usually dismiss a friend. I keep them pretty close. They know they are loved.  Even while my life spins in a furious tunnel they are there. Knowing I'll be back,  right where I was standing. By their side.

But this gal?
YUCK.

Why?
  Because she searched her entire adult life to be like someone else.
She admired others to the point of white washing herself into the back round.
Constantly putting some on high pedestals.
It was difficult to always be held to such a high standard.
We are merely mortals, right?

So I stayed around and watched.
I watched until I saw with my very own eyes, her morphing into this other person.
 Like acting in a play.
Not ever being yourself and not following your own journey.



But literally trying to be someone else.
She bought things that this woman owned.

She tried to emulate every ounce of this person.

She took on her craft, her desires even her charities.

I tried to be like Angelina Jolie, but it just didn't work.
Come on you fool.
(It's the lips, I just want the lips....)
YOU are who you are.
Deal with it, and get the kinks out.
Polish the rough edges, you can do this!

NO one noticed.

But me.

She was gone.



My friend was missing in a sea of someone else.
Like stolen identity.
But worse, she chose this destination.

I admire so many.
I try and tell you too.
I may even copy and idea here and there.
But to not be loyal to Holly?
Then who will be her?
Who will play her roles?
Lead her pack?
I only have one voice.
You can sing with me, but don't mimic my sound.
Yours will be amazing- just step out of the pack and soar with your own melody.

There is only one me.
And some may think that is plenty.

If I don't like me, then I can change that.
If I am not happy, then I can work on that.
But ME is all I got.

All I own.
Do you get it?

I do.
Clearly.
If I am not 100% Holly then I have failed myself.
Miserably.

Last night a friend reminded me that ten years ago I had no idea that I would be here today.
Damn straight.
(this is my make believe Jewish Dr.-I'm serious)


Truth be told....I was to be a Jewish Doctors wife, live in sunny California, drive a Cadillac and walk barefoot around the universe.

But that didn't exactly happen.
How could I have walked barefoot with my shoe passion?
I must have been delusional.
Or a dreamer.

Or maybe I just turned into Holly.

Allowing every door to open and to be closed if necessary.
To accept that it is what it is and to move forward. Never looking back.
Never pretending to be anyone other than MYSELF.

I really like who I have become.
A work in progress, living the only way I know how.

(IF Adam was my 1st hubby than this was my 2nd husband...yes that really is me acting a fool behind my boyfriend Bourdain)

No pretending or wishing.
But actually doing.
Pretty cool?
Yes- it is.

Now write your story.
I bet its a good one.
Don't be anything like me.
It would get way too confusing.
The wackier the better as we all come covered in nuts.

So farewell to my lost soul friend. I pray for her safe return.


I'm sorry that you will never be her.
She already took that place in line.
She holds that DNA and passport.
Try your own shoes on for size.
You just might be surprised how kick ass your own stilettos can be.

Live your destiny.
Choose the direction,
the people,
the passions,
the arts,
the scenery,
the music,
the visuals,
textures and fabric that make you unique.
BE HER and I bet she will be outstanding!
Just saying....

No comments:

Post a Comment