Friday, December 21, 2012

Nashville




Nashville.


Yep, I finally went.  Been wanting to go for so long. I have heard countless Nashville stories and shared so much laughter that I wanted it to be my turn.
And it was.

Miss Nashville had lots to tell me this weekend.
The loudest and clearest message was "Holly, you are not 22 any longer..."

The weather was clear, the moments were amazing. The music was stellar and the food was abundant.

But what made the trip?
I was lucky enough to go with an adorable friend.
We shared all common interests and it was effortless. A forever buddy that understands your everything, good, bad and ugly.


Laughter.

That is what was on my mind.
Daily, doubled over, pee in your pants, laughing till you're begging for it to stop.

Nashville.

Luck gave us a hand on the amazing people we met.
It was merely a smile or a simple "how you doing' that invited strangers into my memories.

We all had the same agenda.
To have a good time.
Certainly not sin city.
A micro version of the Vegas strip.

 Lights and music galore.

The town was inviting.
The music was intoxicating and the voices actually brought my friend to tears.

The happiness from just being was alive and rocking.

Until we saw the t.v.
Pictures strewn across the television screen.
Vivid images that sting you like a sharp poker.
Burning your retina so fiercely its almost blinding.

Connecticut.

My words will not give justice to what happened that Friday.
My heart will never heal.

To enjoy the very moment was almost impossible.
You could feel the red, raw, unimaginable pain from across the land.

How?
Why?
What?
Oh my G-d.
The horror.

I felt so much guilt.
How could I walk through aimlessly without a care in the world?
All the while my sister's are grieving?

What makes moments so spectacular to me are the faces that pass by mine.

The hope that I am lucky enough to have one stop and engage in conversation.

To lend me some earned wisdom,
or merely a cheerful hello.
To give of one's heart.
To speak honest,
truthful and clear.
To meet  a new friend who may just be walking by.

We were lucky enough to have met those people.
Kind, hilarious, genuine, laughing, giving people.

I was enthralled with a Fireman from New York's wit.
His child-like antics and raw humor was intriguing.

In between the one liners and prat falls I mentioned my sadness from that Fridays news.
He began to tell me what he has seen.

His blue eyes that witnessed first hand 9-11.
The deaths,
Lost dreams,
ruined hopes,
tangible evil.

I knew what he was about to say.
But I held my breath anyway,
"I have seen it all. And I have learned  one thing."

"YOU have to live."

Yes, I am grieving.
My body aches for their loss.

Yes, I want to embrace my kids and never let go.
I want to be angry at society and how ugly it has become.


But I don't wanna be a quitter.

I must believe.

That the universe will become a better place.
That we can regain control over injustice.

Maybe its just one new friend at a time.
One bit of small talk,
or hours of deep soul searching conversation.

We need each other.

Nashville.

Music,
 mayhem,
madness
 and more laughing than I have ever done.
One small encounter with a stranger.

He made me see that sadness cannot define us.
That even though our lives can be changed instantly.
It is what it is.

For all we truly have is the instant in which we breathe.

Thank you Nashville I will take it all with me,
the music,
melodies,
bright lights
and wisdom from a new friend.






No comments:

Post a Comment