Thursday, April 5, 2012

kindness-nice and short!

Random acts of kindness.

Does anyone remember the Oprah episode where she gave some audience members $100.00 and asked them to pay it forward?

I do.
Vividly.

I loved that episode.
I thought about it for a long time.
A very long time.

One person took the $100.00 and  paid for strangers coffee all day.
I tried that- I have paid the toll for someone behind me.
It felt good for 30 seconds.
Nothing lasting.




 Then there was someone who took the $100.00 and merely 'asked' her community to do the same. To dig as deep into their pockets as they could, comfortably.

Or give a service.

She knew of a  family facing gigantic struggles.  I  believe the sole bread winner of their household was deteriorating from a deadly Cancer.

She just reached out.

She just asked.

I met a women like her recently.
Actually I have met hundreds of people like that.

Someone that understands that they have been blessed.
Blessed  with more.
More than their fair share.
Yes-
They worked very hard to get  where they are.
But they are aware of their blessings.
In a moment it could all be gone.

They get that.

So to truly enjoy their great wealth they pass it on.  Giving pieces of it away.
Maybe not with money but with  moments.

This one audience member used her $100.00 to contact the neighborhood, make flyer's and have them sent out.
Thank God I was sitting.

That one women raised $50,000.00 in the one week.
Yep you heard me.

Couldn't erase the pain from the struggling family.

But damn it sure did lift 5o thousand dollars of burden that they were facing.

As I sit here thinking about Easter ~
I am reminded of the Easter eggs , the new clothes bought for church and the expensive brunch..

It has me thinking.

What if,

Come on,

What if,
my beautiful friend that always donates
 her voice and her guitar to my events!

We ALL took a little bit of something we had extra.

Time,

Money,

Knowledge,

Kindness,

Some of my friends who donate their
time to work my I AM WHO I AM events!

Ability,

Words,

Love,

And payed it forward.

What if......

Oprah's gone.

But we're not.

We are still here.

We can pay it forward.

Seriously,
    take a minute,

and
just
IMAGINE.

Now~ after you have imagined the GREATNESS.
Stand up and make a difference.
We can,

we will.

Now.

1 comment:

  1. oh I love that show too! You can do it! You can totally do it! Looking forward to Saturday!

    ReplyDelete