Sunday, January 15, 2012

Could NOT have written this better myself! Wow!


The beauty on the left is Betsy!
Hol (Dan, Linds, Nick, Luke, Ben, and Nate...
Betsy Traynor 10:47pm Jan 14
(Dear readers- Today's blog was NOT written by me.  Actually I could have NOT written this any better!)
All I can say after receiving this is,  
WOW!  Enjoy!
Hol (Dan, Linds, Nick, Luke, Ben, and Nate too),

Just wanted to take a minute (or maybe ten… I tend to ramble) to say thank you, thank you, ten million times, thank you, for not only inviting me into your fabulous world, but also for providing me with one of the most beautiful days I have ever experienced.

I’ve been blessed with plenty of wonderful “this is what it’s all about” moments… don’t get me wrong. Up until this point, I’ve always thought that celebrating during an NBA draft party for my college friend Travis was at the top of that list. There was such glitter in the air that night – friends, family, teammates, coaches, and fans all gathered around as a 24 year old boy from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin waited for his name to be called. We hoped and prayed a little bit more with each pick that passed, and finally, we heard the announcer say “With the 38th pick in the 2004 NBA draft, the Orlando Magic select Travis Diener from Marquette University.” Fireworks. Smiles. Goosebumps. Hugs. Laughter. High fives. Never-ending tears of joy. It was an absolutely magical moment, and I felt so lucky to be a part of it. For so long, that night at the Press Box Sports Bar took the cake for “it” moment of my life. Today that changed.

I didn’t know what to expect before I arrived at Brother Rice. I knew that there would be a crowd (Holly, you always know how to attract a crowd) and I knew there would be basketball. But the rest remained a mystery to me. When I walked into the gym, I immediately saw a sea of teal, and I was unbelievably proud to have my own teal shirt. (I wasn’t even there for 2 minutes and I already had my first “gigantic heart smile” chalked up on the board... wow!) There were hugs, high fives, and smiles everywhere, and I already knew that this was my kind of place.

Cue the opening ceremony. Cheerleaders of all shapes and sizes with grins from ear to ear. Priceless. Enter Nate “The Great” Simon. Running in like a champion, grabbing a rose, and jumping into Mom’s arms. Bring on the tears of pure joy. And then come 20 more kids, looking like mini versions of Jordan, Pippen, Wade, Kobe, and Lebron. Absolutely breathtaking. I found myself in a state of happiness that I can’t even put into words… and the game hadn’t even started yet!

The actual game was the perfect mixture of entertaining, heart-warming, and inspiring. Although my eyes stayed glued to that gym floor until the final buzzer sounded, my mind wandered elsewhere. Something inside that gym smacked me upside the head and made me realize that everything else, all of the petty, insignificant things that had been clogging up my brain, didn’t really matter at all.

I wasted 3 years with a jerk. I have a bunch of grey and white roots that desperately need to be touched up. My favorite True Religions don’t fit anymore. Work isn’t challenging or interesting. I don’t have an extra $500 laying around for Tory Burch riding boots. I need new tires. I didn’t get up and workout this morning. To all of it… SO WHAT?! Pardon my French, but WHO THE FUCK CARES?! None of it matters!

What does matter, however, is the feeling I got in that gym, watching precious and innocent kids play the greatest basketball game of their lives. Making it count… THAT’S WHAT IT’S ALL ABOUT! Who cares if I (finally) broke up with a jerk?! Now I have time to do the things I love to do (like spend time with wonderful people and experience new adventures) and even more importantly, I get to love myself again. My hair needs a dye job? Big deal. I’ll get to it. My jeans don’t fit anymore? Make them fit! If a little boy with ankle braces can run up and down the basketball court like he’s a seasoned NBAer, and a girl in a wheel chair can cheerlead, I can most certainly put myself on the elliptical and make those jeans fit again! I’m not happy at work? Find a new job. Find a cause and devote myself to it. Make a difference. DUH! Why did it take me so long to figure this all out?!

Today, I had a moment of clarity. Today, it all finally made sense. Today, I felt the goosebumps and the gigantic smiles in my heart, and I experienced the most wonderful tears of joy. Today, I realized that I can make a difference. Today was a perfect day, and I know that this is only the beginning. I have all of you to thank for that. I am truly blessed to have such wonderful, beautiful, and inspirational people in my life. Thank you, thank you, ten million times, thank you. I owe it all to you.

With all of the love and happiness in my heart (and believe me, it’s a lot),
Betsy

5 comments:

  1. Amazing! Made me cry! What a beautiful moment you shared Simons! You all are magnetic! Absolutely amazing people! Way to go big Nate!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have huge tears of pure pride every time I read this...who knew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huge tears from me too! A beautiful letter from a beautiful young lady. Can't believe this is the same girl that I used to curse at, under my breath!

      Holly, keep your blog up and running. This is how the world is changed, one "Aha moment" at a time!!

      By the way, I love the photo "Nate on a conference call"!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. This is so cool!! I wish I could have seen this! Definitely gave me a good little tear! PS. I LOVE NATE's SHOES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol- I love that YOU LOVE!!!!
      You got a lot of reading to do...keep me posted on what you like. I so enjoy feedback!!

      Delete