Monday, January 30, 2012

Reunion part 2

Lots of pressure on my shoulders this morning. Pretty big shoes to fill as my peeps anxiously await my words from last night.
Yep. I am feeling the pressure.
Although that could just be my pounding headache.

Reunion.
Walking in was the most difficult moment. Not that I am insecure.
Certainly not because I felt uncomfortable.  But because I was alone.
Walking in solely as myself
No shields ~ no armor.
Just me.
Holly Herman.
Thank God the walk to the back of Poor Phil's is a short one.  I was immediately greeted by a few 'readers'. Hilariously adding that what happens on this night will surely be topic for me in the morning.

Indeed.

In no time I was 16 again.
Glancing from side to side I was amid an array of 'old' familiar faces.  Beautifully sculpted.  Maybe a wrinkle here or there, but sculptures of great beauty.

Of time gone by.

Of a life lived.

Chiseled into their flesh was their story.  Their own moments. Times that define them and only them.
Today.
Accomplishments, tears, happiness and hope all lined their faces. Intricate maps of  lifelong stories.  Only theirs to tell..  Only theirs to own.




The compliments fed my appetite and the kindness was over flowing. The comedians were still in place. The jocks still held their stature.
The wisdom of growth was shared by many.
Moments that reminded me that what was once, Is no longer.


Perception and reality.
Funny how the memory can play tricks on you.  Makes a very vivid canvas a tad cloudy. Memories are the moments that we alone choose to remember.
They are our keepsakes.
Our gifts of moments gone.
How and what we remember is ours to keep.

'Popular' came up a few times.  We rolled our eyes around the 6 letter word as if there was no meaning.  Again perception.
Isn't that all the word is?  Does anyone really own that right? A label that today seems wicked.  As if to be elite.
To stand above.
Not me.
I want to stand right by your side.


Gathered among me were people.
Real people.
All shapes and sizes.
Colors, opinions and pasts.
Great beings.
Bold.
Dynamic.
Individual.
Curious.
Compassionate.
People.

I'm  glad that I knew the girl I used to be.
She was 'something'. A girl in search of greatness.  Ready to conquer the world. Didn't know that then.
But I certainly know it now.

Can't go back.
But damn glad we  together can go forward.
Together.


My love and wishes for great happiness and good health.

Until the next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment