Monday, February 13, 2012

Volleyball

Just another day in the life.
A day full of volleyball.

Nate and I had the pleasure to attend a day of ball yesterday.
This isn't your everyday volleyball game.
This is club ball.
A day full of,
dedication
exhaustion
smiles
tears
pain
pride
and loyalty.

Winning.
Sometimes.

My daughter Lindsey has played straight out of the womb.
She is a 6 ft beauty with no idea who she is.
A gorgeous statue of all things to become.
Open to possibilities.
Integrity
power
leadership
and poise.
Today she was Misty May.
And I was her mom.

As we entered the gym I was hit with excitement.
(okay, truth be told, I was hit with the awful stench of a locker room.)
After my nasal cavity adjusted to the air I was whisked away.
Being 18 again.

Girls of all shapes and sizes.
Colors,
attitudes.
Filling the gigantic open space with hope.

Hope to WIN.

Okay,
Give them all you got.

Sorry, But I am NOT a sports mom.
I like to watch.
But you're not happy?
Go home.
You're not willing?
Sit down.
You're not in it to win it.
Leave.

We won some.
We lost some.
But once again.

Something else was played.
Something else was won.

There she was,
 a  'Holly' Fan.

The coach.

A beautiful, wide eyed young-en.
Just beginning to fill up her cup with wisdom.

So beyond excited that she wanted to talk with me.
And she heard.
My sermon was brief.
Then it was her turn.

I listened and read between the lines.
I heard her story and wanted to mold it like clay.
But its hers,
and only hers.
To hold,
to shape.

She is a girl that 'got' it early on.
The petty bullshit of girls gone by.

She took her small town values
and bestowed them upon her team.

Imagine,
YOU have their ears.

YOU as a coach,
a leader
a teacher.

You
have the  minutes to guide these girls.
With your own lessons.

What power you hold.
To make or break them.
To give them the foundation they need to survive.

You are their mentor.
Even if only for the season.

You are their instructor.
Leader
inspiration
guider
cheerleader
and strength.

I heard through her story that she was at a crossroad.
I get that.

We all are.
Daily.
Decisions.

You don't have time to do what you want to do?
Find it.
you are not happy on the court?
Leave it.
You cant find peace in your day.
Rearrange it.

We may not all have the power to win the game.
But we all hold the power to be happy.
Its only our game to win.

Volleyball comes and goes. 
Girls drop out.
Injuries last a lifetime.
Balls are lost in the rafters
and coaches move on.

Play your own game.
This is TRULY the only game you have a choice in.

Win it.


I say,
Go for the ball with all you've got.
Hit hard.
Straight
and mighty.

Its yours to win.


Play big or go home.

Just be IN IT to win it.






2 comments:

  1. This is awesome!!! Thank you so much for not only this, but for everything you do and say that truly get to people's hearts!! Your words were beyond what I wanted to hear and hit straight at the heart! THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lindsay! I totally needed that! A day of being totally over whelmed! Point taken! Thanks girlfriend! oxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete