Monday, December 26, 2011

Just dance, damnit.

Gene Siskal I am not.
 But I do enjoy a good movie.  I am the nut that sings along and even chair dances if the time is right. I am usually the first one tearing up and the last one to leave. I love going to the cinema.  Its one of my mini 'vacations'.  Two solid hours with no interruption. Greasy popcorn and stale licorice fill my void.  I can go alone.  A mystery that kills my children and even some of my friends.  My kids feel sorry for me.  My friends think I look like a weirdo.  Maybe it takes years of self confidence to not care. Or maybe I am just a rebel-hahah.  I would rather go alone than share my popcorn any day.

I had the pleasure to see 'New Years Eve' with my newly 18 year old daughter.  It has become a birthday tradition to see a show together on her big day.  We have enjoyed the hours and also trudged  though some. Memories of the worst movies of all time  have been instilled in our minds.  From the absolute worst, Pinocchio.  To a various array of Adam Sandler, trying to be remotely  funny.

'New Years Eve' started with a bang. At least 30 big celebs brightened the screen.  A young heart throb, Zack Efron was in rare form as my daughter spontaneously erupted.  Yowza.  They didn't make boys like that when I was her age. Inappropriate to swoon over such a youngen?  I will keep my newly, probably jail bate crush to myself. Confessing such a thing just might make my daughter vomit then commit me.

Sometimes it takes the entire 2 hours to get the point.  Fluffy, good looking, great voices and even a bit of chair dancing on my part.  Finally the last 5 minutes were before us. I was about to bid a fond farewell to a few of my new pretend boyfriends (Fergie's hubby-holy guacamole).  Bam. I got it.  I heard you.  Message delivered.

'New Years Eve'.  Yes Virginia it really is just another night. 
But there is truly a vibe  in the air.  A thickness to the ozone  that creeps into even the largest sinic. A chance for a fresh start.  A new beginning full of great hope.  A chance to do better.  To get it right. Open a closed door. A fresh opportunity to make your wishes a reality.  A single moment in time that is felt all around the world. A new day awaits. A new time.  A new year.

Leave yesterday where it belongs.  Behind you.
You just can't go back.
Take a chance for a better, bigger and brighter tomorrow. (throw in a little glitter if you choose.)
Shit will always get in the way. 
Bills will always accumulate.  Hard times will strike us all. Accidents will happen. Someone will get sick and a loved one will pass. We have no control. That's life.

I still believe.

You can choose the life that's worth living. A life full of singing, as if you know the words.  Dancing like you are Michael Jackson. Open up your heart to let in great love.  Laugh at yourself and learn from life's bumps.

Take the New Year on with great gusto. Give away more than you think you have. Smile to brighten the lonely. Embrace the challenge to make a difference.  Cuz at the very end, don't we all just want one more chance to get it right?

One more New Years eve.

I better start practicing my moves. 
 I'm going to go dancing.
 Maybe with a little glitter on the side.










1 comment: