Thursday, December 22, 2011

Laughter

I know Nate came into our lives for a reason.  The obvious reasons are for love, gratitude, acceptance and loyalty.  He teaches us enormous life lessons daily.  He reminds us about what is important and what to focus on.  On some days he comes to us with such comedic skill that even the darkest days get brighter in a flash.

The other night I had the extreme pleasure of  taking all 5 of my children out for dinner.  Various ages (9,11,14.16.17)  have made that task an almost impossible feat.  But there we were sitting at at restaurant, together!  During these moments of amazement I try to slip in some motherly wisdom.  Hoping that they don't realize that its actually a pop quiz.  I take the opportunity to discuss high school dances.  The girl asks the boy kind.   I ask my teenage sons what they would say if a girl they did not want to go to the dance with asked them.  My Middle child responded first.  "I would say I have to think about it."   Okay, I was hoping for a "sure I will go". Reminding them of the courage it takes for a girl to even ask.  I suppose the Internet and such has built a safety net . Most of the fear is gone.  But the message must still be taught. My oldest son began to giggle.  Lord knows what he would say to that poor little frightened girl that just asked him to a dance, shaking in her boots. I'm trying here.

They seem to ponder the question. I want  them to focus on the heart and feelings of the young girl.  Come on boys.  Suck it up.  Say yes, have a good time. Dance.   The role will be reversed soon.  You may be the rejected one.  Ever think of that??

"She likes you.  Just as friends.  She just asked you to her dance."  What do you say? (Us women get this .  The hours spent talking with your friends, rehearsing how you would ask.  What you would say.  Ugh~ the memories are haunting)  There is  no room for rejection here. The entire class knows who you are asking. You're entire reputation rides on this answer.  My son holds the key to your self esteem.)   Maybe a tad melodramatic, but you get the point.

My children  sit in silence.  Looking at each other to see who will reply next.  They know what I want to hear.  But to be self thinkers is what I have taught. Tell me the truth. Be kind, be thoughtful.


Nate raises his hand. Looks around the table with a smirk from ear to ear.  He replies with a strong monotone response..  "I would tell her to shut up!"


Yowza.  Lesson not learned.

A good laugh was had.  Even shared with tables close by.  Breaking the tension is what Nate is good at.  I just hope and pray that they heard a little bit of my lecture.

After all it really is only a dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment