Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A moment at Borders

It was a year ago that Nate and I along with his older brother took a visit to our local Borders. Those were the days that Nathaniel said hello to EVERYONE. A simple trip anywhere would last hours as Nate was determined that even the shyest of new friends would say hello. I began to believe that a hello should always be met with another.  'You honestly believe that you are going to ignore me?' was probably on Nate's mind. 

So, like every other day Nate managed to say hello (usually followed by 'I'm Nate' and 'whats your name?')  to every single person that crossed his path. As we entered the  Border's elevator we were greeted by 2 ladies. A  bit of chit chat ensued between Nate and the women and then we were on our way. We hit the check out line shortly after. The 2 ladies from the elevator were right in front of us.   Nate now believes (and rightfully so) that these 2 women are his friends. He takes one lady by the hand and walks her to the next available cashier. He asks her what her name is. (although she told him already he will ask 300 times before he is satisfied)  He comes back in line and offers me an "I love you mom"....and the rest of the line begins to chime in.  "Where do you go to school?" a women asked. As quick as you can say hello the line of strangers were talking amongst each other.


The women from the elevator that Nate walked hand in hand to the register with came walking back to me. She spoke softly and directly into my eyes and said. "That boy is going to change the world."


A stream of tears began to trickle down my cheek.


Without a moments hesitation I replied "I know, He already has."


I looked back to see all shapes and sizes, all ages and colors talking together in line. It all started with a simple 'hello I'm Nate'.


That day changed my life.

I Believe.


2 comments:

  1. Hol, you're amazing! Tears, yet again!! Super mom, activist, stylist, artist, designer, friend... and now writer?! YOU GO GIRL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Nate has changed each and everyone of us for the better. You are amazing....yes a writer too... You go girl...Keep it up, I can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete